White Powder In Envelope At Dallas High-Rise Deemed Hazardous | KERA News

White Powder In Envelope At Dallas High-Rise Deemed Hazardous

May 28, 2013

UPDATE:  Wed. 5/29  Oops, that white powder found in envelope sent to a Dallas high rise address was not hazardous after all. The FBI now says additional tests proved that the powder was not toxic or harmful.  Agents are not saying what it actually was. 

Original post:

The Dallas Fire Rescue HazMat Team determined the white powder in an envelope opened in a downtown high rise Tuesday morning was hazardous. 

A field test confirmed that much, but not the specific substance.

An employee on the 40th floor of Lincoln Plaza told firefighters the white powder spilled from the envelope after she opened it.  Her supervisor was also exposed. Neither required hospitalization.  And there were no evacuations.

The wording of the letter in the envelope was determined to be non-threatening.  More tests on the powder are being conducted, and the FBI is now in charge of the investigation.