What’s behind the earthquakes in North Texas?
What’s Behind the North Texas Quakes? A KERA/StateImpact Texas Discussion will be moderated by KERA Senior Reporter Doualy Xaykaothao, who has covered major earthquakes in Japan, Indonesia and Thailand. The panel will include state Rep. Phil King, R-Weatherford; Reno Mayor Lynda Stokes; Heather DeShon, SMU associate professor of geophysics; Bill Stevens, government relations consultant at the Texas Alliance of Energy Producers; and StateImpact Texas reporter Mose Buchele, who's covered the oil and gas industry for many years. Audience questions will be moderated by StateImpact Texas reporter Terrence Henry.
About North Texas earthquakes
North Texas has the largest onshore natural gas field in the state, and some experts believe it may be the largest in the country. So when a swarm of earthquakes hit the cities of Azle and Reno six months ago, local residents started asking questions. Scientists have linked the disposal of drilling wastewater used in fracking to earthquakes. And now seismologists are studying the quakes in Parker and Tarrant Counties to monitor where the earthquakes occur, when and why.
About the June 18 forum
What: What’s Behind the North Texas Quakes? A KERA/State Impact Texas Discussion
When: Wednesday, June 18, 7 to 8pm
Where: Azle High School Auditorium; Map: 1200 Boyd Road – Azle, TX 76020
Cost: Free and open to the public
Over the past week, KERA has been airing stories about the North Texas earthquakes.
- The Digger: Reno Mom Helps Neighbors Find Answers About Texas Earthquakes
- The Seismologist: SMU's Heather DeShon Studies The Shaking In Azle And Reno
- A Rocket Scientist And His Wife Blame Disposal Wells For North Texas Quakes
- Company Man: Oil and Gas Energy Rep Says Industry Understands Quake Concerns
- This Azle Couple Worries About Another Round Of Earthquakes
- Earthquake Swarm In North Texas 'Needs To Be Solved Right Now,' Azle Mayor Says
For several months, KERA and StateImpact reporters have covered the earthquake swarm. Here are examples of recent stories:
- Frequent Earthquakes In North Texas Rattle Azle Residents In Epicenter
- What’s Causing Texas Earthquakes? SMU Study Explores Injection Wells From Drilling
- What's Causing Quakes? SMU Scientists Aim To Finish Seismic Study In Two Years
- Meet The Unlikely Character At The Center Of The North Texas Earthquake Debate
- Earthquakes Keep Jolting North Texas And Azle Residents Are Angry
- North Texas Earthquake Swarm More Centralized Than Previously Thought
- Texas House Creating Subcommittee To Investigate Earthquakes Around The State
- As More Earthquakes Strike Azle, Residents Have More Questions
- Geophysicists Are Placing Monitoring Boxes In North Texas' Earthquake Epicenter
- How Oil and Gas Disposal Wells Can Cause Earthquakes
- Here Are 9 Studies Linking Quakes and Drilling Activity in Texas