Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Here Are 39 Things You Should Do In Texas Before You Die
- Five Guys Get Stuck In A Truck On An Icy Highway
- It's Patrick Vs. Dewhurst In Lt. Gov. Runoff; Huffines Knocks Carona Out Of State Senate
- Greg Abbott Faces Law School Friend As Plaintiff In Same-Sex Marriage Suit
- What Does The Fox Say? Meet Two Foxes Hanging Out By The KERA Studios
Tue June 18, 2013
Study Up For 'Think': Seeing America Through The Minutemen's Night Vision Googles
What compels the Minutemen to hunt for undocumented immigrants? What kind of country are they longing for? Could there be more than border control behind the movement? Think host Krys Boyd talks to Harel Shapira, assistant professor of sociology at UT Austin, at noon. He spent time on the Arizona-Mexico border with the controversial paramilitary group for his new book Waiting for José: The Minutemen’s Pursuit of America.
Listen to Shapira recount his time using thermal scopes with Minutemen who have nicknames like "Blowfish" below. "We're not here to catch Mexicans, are we?" Shapira asks at end.
Listen to Think from noon to 2 p.m., Monday through Thursday, on KERA 90.1 or stream the show at kera.org.