Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Dallas Is The Worst Outdoor City In America, Outside Magazine Declares
- 15 Amazing Things You Should Know About Texas Bluebonnets
- Hot, Hot, Hot: In Dallas And Fort Worth, One In 10 Homes Sells Within Just 72 Hours
- Night Owls (And Vampires) Rejoice: Watch The ‘Blood Moon,’ A Lunar Eclipse (Video)
- Cheers! Meet The Brewmasters Behind The North Texas Craft Beer Craze
Wed March 27, 2013
New Sound To 'Howdy Folks', Voice Of Big Tex Fired
The new and improved Big Tex will also have a different voice when he debuts at the State Fair in September.
Big Tex is undergoing a reconstruction after catching fire the last year.
The Fair’s Sue Gooding says the contract with Bill Bragg, the voice of Big Texas for 11 years, will not be renewed.
“We do offer a talent contract and that contract requires that both parties agree to the terms of the contract, and that wasn’t possible this year,” Gooding said.
Gooding declined to explain, but said it’s important to protect the Fair’s brand.
Bragg says he’s shocked, and tells the Dallas Morning News he probably ruffled feathers with a charity appearance at which he was introduced as the voice of Big Tex.
Gooding says there will not be auditions to be the next Big Tex voice, but she will listen to emailed submissions.
The High Five