Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- After Parents Complain, Highland Park ISD Suspends Seven Books From Classrooms
- McKinney Is The Best Place To Live In America, Money Magazine Says
- Dallas Patient Has Tested Positive For Ebola, CDC Confirms
- Here Are 39 Things You Should Do In Texas Before You Die
- RECAP: Greg Abbott, Wendy Davis Face Off In Governor's Debate At KERA (Video)
Wed March 27, 2013
New Sound To 'Howdy Folks', Voice Of Big Tex Fired
The new and improved Big Tex will also have a different voice when he debuts at the State Fair in September.
Big Tex is undergoing a reconstruction after catching fire the last year.
The Fair’s Sue Gooding says the contract with Bill Bragg, the voice of Big Texas for 11 years, will not be renewed.
“We do offer a talent contract and that contract requires that both parties agree to the terms of the contract, and that wasn’t possible this year,” Gooding said.
Gooding declined to explain, but said it’s important to protect the Fair’s brand.
Bragg says he’s shocked, and tells the Dallas Morning News he probably ruffled feathers with a charity appearance at which he was introduced as the voice of Big Tex.
Gooding says there will not be auditions to be the next Big Tex voice, but she will listen to emailed submissions.
The High Five