Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- John Wiley Price Arrested, Pleads Not Guilty To Bribery Charges
- Here Are 39 Things You Should Do In Texas Before You Die
- Dallas Animal Shelter Overwhelmed With Cats And Dogs As Owners Return Their Pets
- Catholic Bishops Respond To Perry's Plan To Send 1,000 Guard Troops To Border
- Texas Is One Of The Worst States For Kids, Survey Says
Wed March 27, 2013
New Sound To 'Howdy Folks', Voice Of Big Tex Fired
The new and improved Big Tex will also have a different voice when he debuts at the State Fair in September.
Big Tex is undergoing a reconstruction after catching fire the last year.
The Fair’s Sue Gooding says the contract with Bill Bragg, the voice of Big Texas for 11 years, will not be renewed.
“We do offer a talent contract and that contract requires that both parties agree to the terms of the contract, and that wasn’t possible this year,” Gooding said.
Gooding declined to explain, but said it’s important to protect the Fair’s brand.
Bragg says he’s shocked, and tells the Dallas Morning News he probably ruffled feathers with a charity appearance at which he was introduced as the voice of Big Tex.
Gooding says there will not be auditions to be the next Big Tex voice, but she will listen to emailed submissions.
The High Five