Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Dallas Is The Worst Outdoor City In America, Outside Magazine Declares
- Texas Students Choose Career Paths In The Eighth Grade, And That's Creating Anxiety
- We’re Not Joking: Fort Worth Is The Country's Least Funny City
- 15 Amazing Things You Should Know About Texas Bluebonnets
- Hot, Hot, Hot: In Dallas And Fort Worth, One In 10 Homes Sells Within Just 72 Hours
Thu March 7, 2013
Judge Holds District Attorney Watkins In Contempt
Dallas County District Attorney Craig Watkins showed up for his court-ordered appearance this morning only to have the judge slap him with a contempt of court order for refusing to answer questions.
KERA’s BJ Austin is in the courtroom and says the following:
State District Judge Lena Levario is holding Watkins in contempt for refusing to answer questions about phone calls with lawyer and Democratic contributor Lisa Blue.
Judge Levario told Watkins she would decide what to do about the contempt order later. Watkins told the court he was invoking work product privilege granted under state law which protects prosecutors’ conversations about cases from public scrutiny.
Attorney Terry Hart told the judge his client, Lisa Blue would take the fifth to avoid incriminating herself.
Blue represented Al Hill III in a battle over Hunt family money and is now suing him for attorney fees.
Hill claims Watkins office charge him with mortgage fraud as a favor to Blue, his friend and donor.
Watkins failed to appear in court when subpoenaed last month, but a court on Wednesday said it would not stop today’s hearing.