Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- John Wiley Price Arrested, Pleads Not Guilty To Bribery Charges
- Here Are 39 Things You Should Do In Texas Before You Die
- Catholic Bishops Respond To Perry's Plan To Send 1,000 Guard Troops To Border
- Dallas Animal Shelter Overwhelmed With Cats And Dogs As Owners Return Their Pets
- Texas Is One Of The Worst States For Kids, Survey Says
Wed January 15, 2014
J.C. Penney To Cut 2,000 Jobs And Close 33 Stores, But None In Texas
Plano-based J.C. Penney will lay off 2,000 workers and close 33 stores to save money. No Texas stores are included, but 20 states are affected.
The retail giant hopes to save about $65 million beginning this year. Meanwhile, closing costs, which include benefits to laid-off workers and other expenses, add up to $43 million, according to its statement.
The worst hit state is Wisconsin, where five Penney stores will close. Stores will sell their inventory over the next several months, then close completely, probably in May.
Penney still plans to open a store in Brooklyn, N.Y., later this year.