Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Dallas Is The Worst Outdoor City In America, Outside Magazine Declares
- 15 Amazing Things You Should Know About Texas Bluebonnets
- West Dallas Is Now A Hot Spot, Thanks To Food, Glorious Food
- Hot, Hot, Hot: In Dallas And Fort Worth, One In 10 Homes Sells Within Just 72 Hours
- Night Owls (And Vampires) Rejoice: Watch The ‘Blood Moon,’ A Lunar Eclipse (Video)
Wed May 9, 2012
Dallas High School Is Nation's Best
For the first time, the Dallas School District’s Talented and Gifted Magnet High School is the best high school in the country, according to today’s U.S. News and World Report. Townview’s Science and Engineering magnet is number three.
DISD spokesperson Jon Dahlander says other Dallas magnet schools scored well, but so did some comprehensive, non-magnet high schools like W.T. White and Molina.
Dahlander: Part of our criteria is how minorities perform. And let’s be honest, we’re about 94-95 percent minority. And that we are doing better than many of our peer schools throughout the state and throughout the country is a really good thing for Dallas.
U.S News and World Report studied more than 5,000 of the nation’s 22,000 high schools. A magazine representative says research shows top schools exist even when they are not populated by the brightest students.