Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- John Wiley Price Arrested, Pleads Not Guilty To Bribery Charges
- Here Are 39 Things You Should Do In Texas Before You Die
- Dallas Animal Shelter Overwhelmed With Cats And Dogs As Owners Return Their Pets
- Catholic Bishops Respond To Perry's Plan To Send 1,000 Guard Troops To Border
- Texas Is One Of The Worst States For Kids, Survey Says
Wed May 9, 2012
Dallas High School Is Nation's Best
For the first time, the Dallas School District’s Talented and Gifted Magnet High School is the best high school in the country, according to today’s U.S. News and World Report. Townview’s Science and Engineering magnet is number three.
DISD spokesperson Jon Dahlander says other Dallas magnet schools scored well, but so did some comprehensive, non-magnet high schools like W.T. White and Molina.
Dahlander: Part of our criteria is how minorities perform. And let’s be honest, we’re about 94-95 percent minority. And that we are doing better than many of our peer schools throughout the state and throughout the country is a really good thing for Dallas.
U.S News and World Report studied more than 5,000 of the nation’s 22,000 high schools. A magazine representative says research shows top schools exist even when they are not populated by the brightest students.