Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
Fri June 13, 2014
A Cliffhanger: How Twitter And TV Watched The Lake Whitney Mansion Teeter And Burn
On Friday, the Lake Whitney house teetering on a cliff was intentionally set on fire. Here’s a Twitter's-eye view of a story that’s generated headlines across the country.
1. Once upon a time, there was a beautiful house on a cliff with gorgeous views of Lake Whitney in Central Texas.
— WFAA TV (@wfaachannel8) June 11, 2014
2. But then part of the cliff started to crumble into the lake. And then pieces of the house started to fall into the lake.
— CBSDFW (@CBSDFW) June 11, 2014
3. But instead of waiting for the entire house to fall into the lake, authorities came up with another plan: Set it on fire. Removing all of the debris from the lake would be too costly. The owner, Rob Webb, told WFAA-TV that he has home insurance, but it doesn’t cover earth movement. Webb will be paying for the demolition. But then, on Friday morning, there was a delay.
Lake Whitney house fire... 1hr 15mins later.. maybe should have brought a bigger gas can??.. pic.twitter.com/4Du2CORClp
— FOX 4 NEWS (@FOX4) June 13, 2014
4. People got restless.
If Lake Whitney cliff house not on fire soon, expect this to be photo of assembled media :) pic.twitter.com/lxlq6t9DcW
— Maj. Max Geron (@MaxDPD) June 13, 2014
5. The fire was finally set. And … action:
— Julie Fine (@JulieFineNBC5) June 13, 2014
6. Helicopters hovered overhead. TV stations covered it live.
Officials are burning a luxury $700K home that started falling into Lake Whitney near Ft. Worth. pic.twitter.com/zeQiZA4wj4
— Valley Morning Star (@valleystar) June 13, 2014
— Sebastian Robertson (@wfaasebastian) June 13, 2014
7. Neighbors gathered to watch the scene.
— Lauren Zakalik (@wfaalauren) June 13, 2014
8. People from across the country gawked at it on TV and online. They wondered why they were staring at the blaze. But they couldn’t stop.
Why is everyone watching this so intently and why am I now doing the same? Lake Whitney Cliff House Set on Fire http://t.co/CDEJY6tlZx
— Caitlin Kerfin (@ckerfin) June 13, 2014
9. They got excited.
— Chris O'Leary (@ohhleary) June 13, 2014
10. The jokes came flooding in …
One day I too hope to own a home .... and then set it ablaze with a diesel fire. http://t.co/3b2x4PZ5Z8
— Justin (@TheAngryGents) June 13, 2014
Don't talk to me right now, I'm watching a house get lit on fire and topple off the side of a cliff. http://t.co/TIRNTr59rH
— John Thrasher (@jthrasher) June 13, 2014
11. The fire went out. The house burned down. The end.
— KRLD (@KRLD) June 13, 2014
12. But it's not really the end. The teetering house on a cliff that was set on fire will live on -- thanks to animated gifs ... and Instagram videos ...
Here's a 10mb gif of the fire house's roof falling off the cliff http://t.co/h6Dp3Hk4o4
— Dianna McDougall (@DiannaMcD) June 13, 2014