Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- BLOG: Crews Clearing Ice From DFW Freeways; 40,000 Without Power; A Brief Warmup This Afternoon
- Whatever Happened To Marina Oswald?
- Frequent Earthquakes In North Texas Rattle Azle Residents In Epicenter
- What’s Causing Texas Earthquakes? SMU Study Explores Injection Wells From Drilling
- Arlington's Pentatonix Produces A Holiday Gift: A Viral 'Drummer Boy' Video
Tue August 7, 2012
Women's Beach Volleyball Final Will Be All-American Affair
The United States will have at least two shiny new medals no matter what happens tomorrow at the women's beach volleyball final.
After defeating China (2-0) and Brazil (2-1), today, the two American teams advanced to the finals, setting up an all-American match. It means the U.S. will receive a gold and silver.
"In a comeback thriller, Americans April Ross and Jennifer Kessy upset 2011 world champions Brazil after losing nine straight games to the pair, Larissa Franca and Juliana Silva.
"The Brazilian team was a gold-medal favorite in the 2008 Beijing Games, but just weeks before they were headed to China, an injury sidelined Silva, forcing Franca to play with a partner with whom she had not practiced with. ...
"The other American team, Kerri Walsh and Misty May-Treanor, today inched closer to their third-straight women's beach volleyball gold medal with a victory over China in the semifinal."
Reuters spoke to Walsh, who left no doubt that they will play hard against their compatriots.
"We have a goal that we really want to accomplish and we're planning on accomplishing it," Walsh told Reuters.