Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Here Are 39 Things You Should Do In Texas Before You Die
- Five Guys Get Stuck In A Truck On An Icy Highway
- It's Patrick Vs. Dewhurst In Lt. Gov. Runoff; Huffines Knocks Carona Out Of State Senate
- What Does The Fox Say? Meet Two Foxes Hanging Out By The KERA Studios
- Greg Abbott Faces Law School Friend As Plaintiff In Same-Sex Marriage Suit
Fri June 28, 2013
Tricks To Stay Cool (With No Pool) This Weekend
It would be nice if triple digits were limited to paychecks, area codes, and padlocks. But that’s not the case in Dallas-Fort Worth. The summer’s first triple-digit temperature made an early arrival this week, and Friday was even hotter. Here are four tips to beat the heat.
- Drink water – yes, you’ve heard this before. But the importance of staying hydrated on hot days can’t be overstated. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) reported that 155 people died in 2012 as a result of extreme heat, down from 206 fatalities in 2011. If you’re spending time outside, drink plenty of water – any temperature is fine.
- Avoid the sun – no amount of sunscreen can keep you cool. If you plan on taking a jog or mowing the lawn, try and schedule it early morning or late at night.
- Turn off appliances – the biggest heat producers are lights. Turn them of if you aren’t using them. And keep in mind other appliances, like your oven, microwave, television and dishwasher give off heat as well. Unplugging will help keep the house cool, and save you energy.
- Pretend you’re a vampire – no, garlic doesn’t help keep you cool…but closing the blinds and staying inside during very hot weather will. Maybe watch some True Blood or Hemlock Grove while you’re at it.