Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- BLOG: More Sleet Threatens As 115,000 Are Still Powerless; Roads Are Hazardous, I-35 Bridge Blocked
- Whatever Happened To Marina Oswald?
- Frequent Earthquakes In North Texas Rattle Azle Residents In Epicenter
- Meet Stormy, The Cute Puppy Rescued From A West Dallas Storm Drain
- Arlington's Pentatonix Produces A Holiday Gift: A Viral 'Drummer Boy' Video
Thu June 27, 2013
A Statewide Spotlight On Mental Health In Dallas
Hundreds of mental health specialists from across the state are gathered today in Downtown Dallas for the 28th Annual Texas Council of Mental Health Centers Conference.
Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings gave an opening speech that stressed the importance of providing first-class treatment for those struggling with mental illness, substance additions and intellectual development disabilities.
Rawlings started his push for awareness and action on mental health began after the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut. In February, he spoke at "Erasing the Stigma: Mental Illness and the Search for Solutions," a public dialogue sponsored by KERA and The Dallas Morning News.
At this week's conference, there are sessions on everything from how to use text and other technology to respond to people in crisis, to treating people with schizophrenia. You can see the full agenda here.
We’ll have highlights from the conference later today and tomorrow.