Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Here Are 39 Things You Should Do In Texas Before You Die
- Five Guys Get Stuck In A Truck On An Icy Highway
- It's Patrick Vs. Dewhurst In Lt. Gov. Runoff; Huffines Knocks Carona Out Of State Senate
- What Does The Fox Say? Meet Two Foxes Hanging Out By The KERA Studios
- Greg Abbott Faces Law School Friend As Plaintiff In Same-Sex Marriage Suit
Thu June 27, 2013
A Statewide Spotlight On Mental Health In Dallas
Hundreds of mental health specialists from across the state are gathered today in Downtown Dallas for the 28th Annual Texas Council of Mental Health Centers Conference.
Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings gave an opening speech that stressed the importance of providing first-class treatment for those struggling with mental illness, substance additions and intellectual development disabilities.
Rawlings started his push for awareness and action on mental health began after the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut. In February, he spoke at "Erasing the Stigma: Mental Illness and the Search for Solutions," a public dialogue sponsored by KERA and The Dallas Morning News.
At this week's conference, there are sessions on everything from how to use text and other technology to respond to people in crisis, to treating people with schizophrenia. You can see the full agenda here.
We’ll have highlights from the conference later today and tomorrow.