Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Dallas Is The Worst Outdoor City In America, Outside Magazine Declares
- 15 Amazing Things You Should Know About Texas Bluebonnets
- Hot, Hot, Hot: In Dallas And Fort Worth, One In 10 Homes Sells Within Just 72 Hours
- Night Owls (And Vampires) Rejoice: Watch The ‘Blood Moon,’ A Lunar Eclipse (Video)
- Dallas Baptist Student’s Viral Video Of ‘Let It Go’ Lands Him A Disney Audition
Thu June 27, 2013
A Statewide Spotlight On Mental Health In Dallas
Hundreds of mental health specialists from across the state are gathered today in Downtown Dallas for the 28th Annual Texas Council of Mental Health Centers Conference.
Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings gave an opening speech that stressed the importance of providing first-class treatment for those struggling with mental illness, substance additions and intellectual development disabilities.
Rawlings started his push for awareness and action on mental health began after the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut. In February, he spoke at "Erasing the Stigma: Mental Illness and the Search for Solutions," a public dialogue sponsored by KERA and The Dallas Morning News.
At this week's conference, there are sessions on everything from how to use text and other technology to respond to people in crisis, to treating people with schizophrenia. You can see the full agenda here.
We’ll have highlights from the conference later today and tomorrow.