Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
Wed June 12, 2013
Shiny New Honors On KERA's Awards Shelf
The State Integrity Investigation – a 50-state project that KERA was part of last year – has won a national Edward R. Murrow Award for investigative reporting from the Radio Television Digital News Association.
It's the latest honor in a record year for the station's news team, which won three regional Murrow awards, six from the Texas Associated Press Broadcasters Association and four Anson Jones, MD, Awards from the Texas Medical Association.
The national Murrow Awards, among the top honors in broadcasting, were announced Wednesday. KERA's contribution to the State Integrity Investigation was a three-part series of stories by Shelley Kofler called "Texas Judges: Out Of Order."
Here's an award-by-award look at KERA's other winners:
Regional Edward R. Murrow Awards
- Breaking news: Staff, Tornado coverage, April 3, 2012.
- Continuing coverage: Staff, West Nile coverage, July 2012
- Reporting, hard hews: Shelley Kofler, Inside The Dropout Crisis: Why Boys Leave School, And Why They Return, Sept. 26, 2012.
Texas Associated Press Broadcasters Awards
- First place, use of actuality-production: Jerome Weeks, Sounding Out The New City Performance Hall, Sept. 11, 2012.
- First place, light feature: Shelley Kofler, Fossil Hunter, And His 95 Million-Year-Old Bird, Land At The New Perot Museum, Nov. 29. 2012.
- Second place, special series: Shelley Kofler, Texas Judges: Out Of Order, Aug. 22, 2012.
- Second place, spot news by a station: Staff, Tornado coverage, April 2, 2012.
- Honorable mention, specialty or beat reporting: Bill Zeeble.
- Honorable mention, serious feature: Courtney Collins, For Cancer ‘Previvors’, Knowledge is Power, Oct. 29, 2012.
Anson Jones, MD, Awards
- First place, radio: Courtney Collins, Dallas Surgeon Speaks About Debilitating Battle With West Nile, June 20, 2012.
- First place, in-depth radio: Staff, West Nile Special, Aug. 16, 2012.
- Honorable mention, in-depth radio: Courtney Collins, For Cancer ‘Previvors’, Knowledge is Power, Oct. 29, 2012.
- Honorable mention, journalist of the year: BJ Austin.