Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Dallas Is The Worst Outdoor City In America, Outside Magazine Declares
- Texas Students Choose Career Paths In The Eighth Grade, And That's Creating Anxiety
- 15 Amazing Things You Should Know About Texas Bluebonnets
- Hot, Hot, Hot: In Dallas And Fort Worth, One In 10 Homes Sells Within Just 72 Hours
- Cheers! Meet The Brewmasters Behind The North Texas Craft Beer Craze
Wed March 6, 2013
Pickups Top The List Of Most Stolen Texas Vehicles-Again
Pickups are the most popular vehicles in Texas AND, again, are the most stolen, according to 2012 data from the Department of Public Safety.
Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge pickups, in that order, lead the top-10 list of vehicles targeted by Texas thieves. The truck-like Chevy Tahoe is 5thand a GMC pickup is 7th. Rounding out the top-10 list of stolen vehicles: the Honda Civic, Accord, Chevy Impala, Toyota Camry and Ford Taurus. Here's the complete list.
1) Ford Pickup
2) Chevrolet Pickup
3) Dodge Pickup
4) Honda Civic
5) Chevrolet Tahoe
6) Honda Accord
7) GMC Pickup
8) Chevrolet Impala
9) Toyota Camry
10) Ford Taurus
Officials say many of these vehicles - often a few years old - are stolen for parts. Some are sold to unsuspecting buyers, while others are taken and used in other crimes, for insurance fraud, or just for joyrides.
And state officials says no other crime cost Texans more than vehicle theft in 2011 – more than $621 million.