Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Dallas Is The Worst Outdoor City In America, Outside Magazine Declares
- 15 Amazing Things You Should Know About Texas Bluebonnets
- Hot, Hot, Hot: In Dallas And Fort Worth, One In 10 Homes Sells Within Just 72 Hours
- Night Owls (And Vampires) Rejoice: Watch The ‘Blood Moon,’ A Lunar Eclipse (Video)
- Dallas Baptist Student’s Viral Video Of ‘Let It Go’ Lands Him A Disney Audition
Fri October 18, 2013
J.C. Penney To Open On Thanksgiving Night
Black Friday not good enough for you?
How about shopping on Thanksgiving?
J.C. Penney is opening its doors on Thanksgiving evening to kick off the holiday shopping season. The beleaguered Plano-based retailer hopes to get back in the game for the crucial selling period.
Penney will open most of its 1,100 stores at 8 p.m., the same as rival Macy's. So instead of getting up super early on Black Friday, you can feast on turkey, take a long nap and head to the mall and wait in line before the sun goes down.
The Thanksgiving evening opening is much earlier than last year, when Penney didn't open until 6 a.m. Friday. That made the retailer one of the laggards for the unofficial kickoff to the season.
J.C. Penney also is bringing back its tradition of giving away nearly 2 million holiday snow globes starting at 4 a.m. on the Friday after the turkey feast.
Stores are ushering the holiday season in earlier every year, creeping into Thanksgiving. Macy's 8 p.m. opening on Thanksgiving compares with its midnight Friday opening in 2012.