Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Dallas Is The Worst Outdoor City In America, Outside Magazine Declares
- Texas Students Choose Career Paths In The Eighth Grade, And That's Creating Anxiety
- 15 Amazing Things You Should Know About Texas Bluebonnets
- Hot, Hot, Hot: In Dallas And Fort Worth, One In 10 Homes Sells Within Just 72 Hours
- Cheers! Meet The Brewmasters Behind The North Texas Craft Beer Craze
Mon July 22, 2013
20 Weeks Pregnant Could Mean 22 Weeks Pregnant, Depending On Who You Ask
Anyone who followed the heated debate on Texas’ new abortion legislation knows that 20 weeks is now the latest a woman can get an abortion. But the medical community says their definition of 20 weeks is different from the new law's definition.
As NPR’s Julie Rovner reports, the legislation pegs the beginning of pregnancy at fertilization, but doctors have always calculated pregnancy age from the first day of a woman’s last menstrual period. So while a woman may be 20 weeks pregnant in the eyes of this newly signed law, a doctor would consider that same woman about 22 weeks along.